Closing date: 14 July 2021 at 09:00 UK time (17:00 JST)
Total fund: £3,000,000
Award range: £350,000 - £425,000
Apply for funding for a social sciences, arts or humanities research project. This must be in collaboration with Japanese researchers. You must be a UK researcher based at an eligible research organisation. We encourage you to address challenges and opportunities associated with the COVID-19 pandemic. The majority of your proposal must be within ESRC’s remit or AHRC’s remit. The full economic cost of the UK part of the project can be between £350,000 to £425,000. UKRI will fund 80% of this. The Japanese part of the project can cost up to ¥30 million. This will be funded by JSPS. Funding is for three years. We will fund between eight and 10 projects.
The ESRC and AHRC of the UK and the JSPS, are pleased to invite high quality social science, arts and humanities proposals between UK and Japanese researchers. The total UK budget for this opportunity is £3 million. UK applicants may request between £350,000 to £425,000 (100% full economic cost) per project. If successful, UKRI will meet 80% of the full economic costs and the host institution is expected to support the remaining 20%. The total Japanese budget for this opportunity is ¥300m. Japanese applicants may request up to ¥30m per project over 3 years (up to ¥10m per year). Together we expect to fund up to ten joint proposals for a period of three years. Successful projects will be expected to begin in December 2021.
This initiative will provide funding for high-quality collaborative research projects between UK and Japanese researchers which contribute to advancing impacts for the benefit of both countries. UKRI and JSPS are keen to support collaboration between researchers and teams in areas of mutual strength and shared interest. Proposals must have a majority focus within ESRC’s or AHRC’s remits to be eligible. Whilst this opportunity is open across the entire breadth of the social sciences, arts and humanities, we are particularly interested in proposals that acknowledge the current global context in relation to the COVID-19 pandemic and aim to address the challenges and opportunities presented by the pandemic. For example, this might include proposals that aim to contribute towards:
This list is not exhaustive.
Please be advised attendance for the full three days is mandatory. This is the second sandpit, in a series of three. The theme for this sandpit is novel digital technologies to monitor, diagnose and treat the population remotely. The sandpit will be held virtually over three days in the second half of October 2021.The deadline for submission of full proposals is expected to be in November 2021 (date to be confirmed). Final funding decisions will be made in January 2022.
Call for Events is now open! We're supporting Members and Expert Fellows to lead activities that explore aspects of TIPS in the Digital Economy. We will help to organise the activity with up to £5,000 to cover the associated costs.